Friday, June 25, 2010

Natonal Catfish Day - Postcard Friendship Friday #17



This wonderful old postcard celebrating April Fool's Day, is from my "cyber collection."  I could not find a postcard to commemorate National Cat Fish Day, so this one will have to do.

It is amazing what one can discover on the internet!  I was astonished (and amused) to learn on June 25, 1987, President Ronald Reagan issued an official proclamation making the date an annual holiday, National Catfish  Day.

Said Reagan with his famous grin, "More and more Americans are discovering a uniquely American food delicacy, farm-raised catfish."

I remember when my brothers would go fishing in the neighbor's pond.  They'd bring home buckets of catfish.  Mom would put them into the kitchen sink, where they splashed and played until Dad came home take care of business.  I always thought their bewhiskered faces and tough disposition were rather endearing--they were tasty, too.  Mom knew how to cook catfish--they must to be cooked just right, otherwise they taste gamey.

So, today in America, for fishing enthusiasts who like to catch their own and fry them up for supper, catfish tops the menu.  If catching one's own catfish isn't an option, fried catfish appears on specials boards in cafes, diners and other eateries.

Who would have thought?!  Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

Don't forget to visit Gemma's Weekend Mailbox Meme  for some interesting mail-related fun!   


16 comments:

Linda said...

What a hilarious picture! Strange and silly and wonderful. Happy PFF!

Paul van Yperen said...

I do agree with Linda: hilarious and a bit surrealistic. You expect flowers in her hands, no fish. Great card. Happy PFF!

Lois said...

That picture is too funny! I do love fried catfish, but I have always been afraid of them. I saw someone get finned by a saltwater catfish one day and judging from his reaction, the pain is pretty awful!

Postcardy said...

I thought catfish was just a southern thing, so I was surprised that it is in your part of the country.

Deann said...

Oh I love this card not only is it unusual and funny the girl looks just like a very dear friend of mine who passed away several years ago. I took a copy of it for my collection I hope you don't mind. I might do an art project with it.
I'm sorry I'm such a lousy blogger lately...I have so many projects going and so many interruptions I have been a terrible blog sister I'm afraid. Have a fantastic Friday Sissy Bea...Love you.

LiT Web Studio said...

i read that Louisiana is a haven for catfish dining...i suppose that's something else that will be badly affected by the BP oil spill...
great card! happy PFF!

Aimee said...

My son will be excited to find this out. Fried Catfish is his favorite food! Of course, now he's going to want that for dinner!

Anonymous said...

I actually like the card! But I have always been the odd gal out! hahahah
Beth, I linked up to you again today ... I hope you don't mind. Last week I had a few new visitors! Thank you so much for supporting me!
Have a most lovely weekend, as we are enjoying NO rain!!!!

Snap said...

You are good! National Cat Fish day! Who knew? Now we do! Fun card!

Terra said...

The girl on this card is so lovely, and holding those fish which is so opposite that it gave me a giggle.

Joy said...

She was obviously a practical person, flowers or fish, mmm I can cook the fish afterwards. She is doing well to hold those slippery customers. Very funny card.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I have to confess, I've never eaten catfish, but I love your post!

Funoldhag said...

I grew up eating catfish from the Illinois river that my dad caught and my mom cooked to perfection. I don't know that anyone eats fish out of the river anymore, but the ones farm grown are just as good. I think that picture is a hoot! So what not to expect--a pretty girl and fish. Funny, Beth!

Clytie said...

I bet she washed her hands really well after holding those fish. Although they were probably fake!

A wonderful and silly card to make me smile today!!!

Lyneen said...

Love your fish card... it reminds me of the hilarious French April Fools jokes... thanks for sharing.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Hello again, Beth! I think there is something wrong with your link to the Weekend Mailbox on Gemma's Greyscale Territory.