Wednesday, January 23, 2013

Valentine Roses


I was out walking a yesterday and happened upon a bevy of roses.  Roses in January have a special significance for me and my family.  For birthdays, rather than decorating with frosting, my family used real flowers.

Daddy's birthday came in mid-January--to find flowers that time of year was a true challenge.  Since Dad's nickname was "Bud," it became a tradition to seek out a January rosebud for his birthday cake.  I can't remember a year when we didn't find one.

When I saw those roses, so crisp and pretty, tears came to my eyes.  Happy Birthday, dearest Daddy and Happy Valentine's Day in heaven.

3 comments:

~JarieLyn~ said...

Lovely post.

Irene said...

I think you an I are sharing more than a lovely card today, I can't seem to stop crying, still. Hugs Dear Beth.

Clytie said...

Ah sissie. I can still remember Dad introducing himself ... "Hi, I'm Bud. The rose that forgot to bloom"!

I miss him.