Friday, August 30, 2019

Happy Labor Day -Postcard Friendship Friday #469



In the United States, Labor Day is a public holiday celebrated on the first Monday in September. It honors the American labor movement and the men and women who's hard work has reaped tremendous contributions to the development, growth, endurance, strength, security, prosperity, productivity, structure, and well-being of our country. 

Beginning in the late 19th century, as the trade union and labor movements grew, trade unions proposed a day be set aside to celebrate labor and hard working Americans. "Labor Day" was promoted by the Central Labor Union and the Knights of Labor, which organized the first parade in New York City.

In 1887, Oregon was the first state to make Labor Day Monday an official public holiday. By the time it became an official federal holiday in 1894, thirty states in the United States already officially celebrated Labor Day.

Labor Day Weekend is often said to be "unofficial end of summer." Many fall activities, such as school and sports, begin about this time.  In America, most school districts resume classes around the Labor Day holiday weekend.

So, there you have it in a nutshell!  Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!


* LINKING UP:  You can put your link in any time between now and next Friday.  Postcard Friendship Friday is open for the entire week!

* BADGE:  When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you! 

THEMES: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

REMINDER:  If you post anything other than a postcard to share, your link will be removed.   Postcard Friendship Friday is specifically dedicated to postcards, both modern and vintage.









2 comments:

Sojournstar Media said...

I left a message earlier on a post about a month old, and just wanted you to know I also added your Friday Linky to my Linky Party Directory. I won't leave a link here, so not to confuse with any adverts ;) but the blog directory is called Hopin Cropin if you care to look it up.

Sojournstar Media said...

HMM, I went looking for the other comment and it seems to have disappeared, or maybe I forgot to hit submit, it happens.

I wanted to say I feel your pain about the lack of participation, I also use linkytools for blog trains and all sorts of things, and was almost not going to renew, but I did. Maybe we are just getting stale lol. In any case, message me if you would like to colab, or want to throw some suggestions around for reviving the whole linky tradition. Message me here, or find me at the blog I mentioned above earlier, which is also linked to the Ocean Grande postcard link in this weeks linky!