Friday, February 26, 2016

Erin Mavourneen! -Postcard Friendship Friday #302


This is one of the most lovely postcards I have seen for St. Patrick's Day.   The beautiful harpist with her flowing hair, blue dress and shaggy companion seem unusual.  I was quite intrigued by the little poem--I am sure it must be a song. 

Thy harp-striking bards
Sing aloud with emotion
Erin Mavoureen
Sweet Erin Go Bragh!

In the old Irish, the word movoureen is the possessive version of the word avourneen which means “darling.”  That means Movoureen would mean “My” darling.  The original Irish was a mhuirnīn, a diminutive of mūirn, which had the idea of affection and joy, or, the one for whom I have affection and who gives me joy.  Since Erin comes from Eirinn, the Irish word for Ireland, the phrase Erin Movoureen could likely mean "my darling Ireland, which gives me joy."   

That would likely mean the last two phrases of this poem would mean, "Darling Ireland, sweet Ireland live forever!"  Isn't that neat? 

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday, dear Friends. 

LINKING UP:  You can put your link in any time between now and next Thursday.  Postcard Friendship Friday is open for the entire week!     

* BADGE:  When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you! 

THEMES: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

A REMINDER:  Links which do not have to do with Postcard Friendship  Friday will be removedLinks which advertise various products will share that same fateAny and all suspicious links will be reported to Blogspot then deleted.




2 comments:

Lyneen said...

Love your Irish Cards!!!! I need to find one for next week!!!

Lyneen said...

This postcard looks like it might be a TUCKs... Love the verse... I love St. Patrick's Day postcards. Thanks for sharing!