Friday, April 27, 2012

Waiting for DaDa - Postcard Friendship Friday #113



I was intrigued by the caption for this lovely postcard. "Waiting for DaDa."  I wonder what the story is behind this photo.  Both are obviously waiting for the most important person in their lives.  I adore the Mom's pink ruffles and those delicate roses are gorgeous beyond compare.

Mother's Day celebrations in America seem to have begun with Ann Marie Reeves Jarvis, a young Appalachian homemaker.

During the Civil War, Ann organized women to work for better sanitary conditions for both sides.  After the war, when most women devoted their time solely on their family and homes, this spunky lady worked to assist in the healing of a nation.   In 1858, Ann was inspired to start Mother's Friendship Day -- a day for war-torn Americans from both sides to celebrate their mothers and love for their families.

In 1868, to further encourage reconciliation between Union and Confederate neighbors and families, she created Mother's Friendship Clubs where she taught women the basics of nursing and sanitation.  As families and communities healed and knitted back together, thousands of lives were saved through the spread of this life-saving knowledge.  I would have loved to have met this brave, wise, peace-loving woman.

I love spring and Mother's Day.  I get to put Mother's day cards up all month long!  Have a delightful day, my Friends.

*  DON'T FORGET:  When you submit a postcard for PFF, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you!

*  NOTE: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

*  REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising and do not refer to any of the following; Postcard Friendship Friday, mailboxes, the Post office, postcards or the love of postcards, will be deleted.

 

6 comments:

Sreisaat said...

That is a lovely card! Reminds me of a picture of me and my mum when I turned 4 years old :) Happy Mother's Day to you, Beth and to our friends here at PFF.


Postcards Crossing

dmarks said...

Nice card!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Very pretty! I have a slightly similar one, a reproduction, from the first world war.

I forgot Mothers' Day was coming up. Ours was a while ago.

LiT Web Studio said...

hi beth - too rushed to post for PFF, but just wanted to drop by and say hello - will try harder next week ;-)

Snap said...

Such a pretty card and perfect for Mother's Day. Happy PFF and thank you for hosting!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I'm adding this comment to last week's PFF because I don't know your email address. Feel free to delete it later. I just wanted to say what a shame it is that people come and leave their links and don't comment. You had 10 entries last week and only 5 comments. They are probably the same 5 who visited me.

I was wondering if you could add a line to your PFF posts to ask people to leave a comment after they link up and also to visit others. The "friendship" part is the spirit of PFF and it seems to be missing these days.