Friday, August 19, 2011

National Aviation Day - Postcard Friendship Friday #77



Last week I was talking Vern, a dear friend of mine--he is actually related to the Wright brothers.  He tells me, when he was a young man, he had the chance to meet Orville, still living at that time.  As a young person, he didn't understand the significance of the Wright Brothers, so the chance passed him by.  I love hearing Vern's stories.  The things he's lived through, the experiences he's had, are fascinating!

Another friend of mine still shudders each time he boards an airplane.  "It's unnatural," he says, "that airplanes are heavier than air and can actually fly!"  But look how one man's impossible dream changed, not only our world, but history itself.

National Aviation Day is observed on the birthday of aviator pilot Orville Wright.  As is known, the Wright brothers, Orville and Wilbur, were pioneer aviators in the United States.  Orville was the first person to successfully fly an airplane. His first flight was December 17, 1903 at Kitty Hawk, North Carolina.

Orville and his brother Wilbur are given credit for building the Wright Flyer, the world’s first successful airplane with aircraft controls which enabled them to steer the plane. Though they were not the first to build and fly experimental aircraft, the brothers were the first to invent aircraft controls which made fixed wing flight possible.  Can you imagine.

In 1939, American President Franklin Roosevelt proclaimed August 19 to be National Aviation Day.  Happy Aviation Day Everyone!

* NOTE: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them! Have fun everyone!

* Don't forget to visit Gemma at Greyscale Territory for Weekend Mailbox!

REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising and do not refer to Postcard Friendship Friday, mailboxes, the Post office, postcards or the love of postcards, will be deleted.


9 comments:

Dorincard said...

Wright on! But read about the others, too. They all made history for us. :)

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Interesting! I didn't know there was a National Aviation Day. Not far from where I live there is a monument to the first flight across the English channel by Louis Blériot.

viridian said...

hello Beth! My husband's grandmother told stories of seeing the Wright Brothers practice with their later models in the Dayton Oh area. She herself never flew until in her 60's.

MrCachet said...

Beth,

I'm once again passing, but thought I'd stop by and let you know I'm still active - just not at the moment. Many plates in the air!

dakotaboo said...

I also had not heard of National Aviation Day - thanks for bringing it to my attention. My post is up, with some vintage Greek aviation. Happy PFF.

Snap said...

Fun, interesting post. I love learning something new! Happy PFF!

Heather said...

I think it is very cool that museums hang complete airplanes. The first time I saw that in Chicago, I was blown away.

Sunshinelene said...

Without them, we would still be travelling by boat, train or buses. At least we have another option to and that is to fly. =)

Happy Aviation week everyone!

My post is up - postcard friendship from Australia.

Arlene
http://www.ilovepostcrossing.info/2011/08/19/postcard-friendship-friday-006/

Unknown said...

I dont have a card that mayches to the national aviation day. this one look vintage/

http://www.picturemyworld.info/postcard-friendship-friday-2/