Monday, July 20, 2009

A Princess in Danger


This illustration comes from another of the books in my fairytale book collection. In this story of woe, the beautiful princess is in danger. Her stepmother is in actuality a witch, who casts a spell upon the princess, turning her into a wild mindless dragon who scourges the countryside in her search for food.

The prince of a neighboring kingdom is her own true love. When he hears of the spell, he travels to the kingdom to rescue the princess. What he must do to break the spell is gruesome. He must cut 0ff the head of the dragon.

The brave prince takes strength in his love for the girl, strikes the dragon's head away. This breaks the spell and the girl is restored. The wicked stepmother is punished. She is made to dance in a pair of red hot iron shoes until she falls dead.

And the prince and princess? Of course they live happily ever after.



Daddy Update: Dad's cousin Fred came to visit Dad. Dad seems so much better for the visit. He is perky and told me he's getting really bored sitting in bed all day long! A GOOD sign!

5 comments:

Lois said...

I wouldn't mind making my stepmother dance in a pair of red hot iron shoes until...oh sorry I got off on a tangent! I didn't mean it, really I didn't! Glad to hear your Dad is so perky and bored. That is a great sign!

Chris Overstreet said...

I think I read the Stephen King version: he cuts off the head of the dragon, and the disembodied had of the princess falls at his feet. Cool!

Get Dad a laptop and point him at all the postcard and ephemera blogs. If he's bored I'm sure he'd have plenty to say!

Clytie said...

Fairy tales were so gruesome! And to think we read them to our children at night! Yikes! At least most of them seemed to end with "happily ever after".

JANN said...

I am so glad to hear your Dad is still doing well. that is wonderful news, PRAISE GOD To whom all blessings flow ! Keeping you guys in my thoughts and prayers-
always happiness to you Beth!

Deann said...

Did you ever stop to think that if it wasn't for wicked stepmothers and dragons to slay we wouldn't need handsome princes, and then we would be right where we are now...computer dating.
I can't imagine who would tell this sick story to a child but then again I let my kids watch Alien what do I know.
Very glad things are going well, good job Uncle Fred!