Friday, May 7, 2010

Mother's Day in Australia - Postcard Friendship Friday #10

I apologize for getting this up so late this morning.  After five days, we finally coaxed our our kitty out of hiding--she kept us up until well after 3 a.m.! 

I have always had a special place in my heart for Australia. Mother's Day is very special to Australians.  They celebrate the day on the second Sunday of May.

Mother's day is dedicated entirely to the leading lady of the family. While Moms get to relax on this particular day, people of all the ages, from preschoolers to adults, contribute to make the day a special one for their mother.

The celebrations in Australia are similar to ours here in the United States--except for the traditional custom of wearing a carnation. In Australia, colored carnations hold different meanings. If a person is wearing a colored carnation, it signifies that his/her mother is living. A white carnation is worn to pay homage, or tribute to a deceased mother.

All across Australia, on Mother's Day, children thank their Mothers for the undying love and care she showers on them. From the morning tea, to the evening party, they share their feelings through a number of small, as well as large gestures.


I think I'd like to move to Australia!  Hats off to this marvelous country and their lovely Mother's Day traditions!  Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!
 
 

15 comments:

Lois said...

I love Mother's Day especially now that I have grandkids!

maryt/theteach said...

Beth, that is such a beautiful postcard celebrating Mother's Day and Postcard Friendship Friday! My PFF is up! :)

papel1 said...

I guess I should have done a Mothers Day postcard this week for PFF but went a different route. It is a beautiful Card. Mothers Day is special because I was born on Mothers Day. What a gift to Mom.
Judy

Dorincard said...

Happy Mother's Day, Beth & Co.! :)

Anonymous said...

Oh, I'm so happy kitty is out! Now for sure, you're weekend will be a lovely one!

Wishing you all the beauty your heart can hold!

viridian said...

I hope all is well with your kitty. It sounded like it was eating and drinking water while hiding, so I figured all would be right in the end. Best of luck with kitty.

Paul van Yperen said...

Austalia is such a wonderful place. We had our honeymoon there. A very happy memory. Mother's day will also be my parents' 55th wedding anniversary, so Sunday will be one great party, here at our house. Happy PFF, Beth.

Postcardy said...

Happy Mother's Day and PFF.

Joy said...

How interesting, I love the idea of the carnation.

Snap said...

Beautiful card, Beth and wonderful, interesting post. Thanks so much. Happy Mother's Day and Happy PFF!

Postcards Crossing said...

Beautiful entry for this week, Beth, and I just love reading accompanying story. Happy Mother's Day to you. The little kitty must have thought to give you a nice Mother's day appearance :D

Clytie said...

A beautiful card, sissie, and very interesting information about Australia. I had no idea anyone else celebrated Mothers Day besides the US!

I'm so glad your kitty has come out of the wall. :=}

Linda said...

So happy the kitty has emerged! Who could ask for a better Mother's Day gift? Happy belated PFF!

Lyneen said...

A lovely Mothers Day Tribute!!! PFF

Happy Mothers Day to all the Mothers!

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I am so sorry to be so late. I'm often late, but this must be a record.

It isn't Mothers' Day for me but I wish all my friends, wherever they are and whatever they may be celebrating this weekend, a perfect time.