Saturday, May 2, 2009

Tip-Top Detachable Buttons


My darling Neta loved to sew. When she flew away to heaven she left her sewing machines and sewing supplies to me. She's been gone almost five years now. Only recently I finally went through all the sewing notions she left behind.

I found this fascinating card of detachable buttons! I've included the back side of the card because it has two remaining buttons, and thus you can see how they worked. I love these old things--so normally a part of people's lives, and now considered "vintage."

The buttons were made by the Tip-Top Products Company, in Omaha, Nebraska, USA. I'm not sure when they were made.

6 comments:

Lois said...

Now that's a great idea and the price can't be beat!

Margo said...

I remember seeing old buttons like this somewhere. That is so wonderful they are still on the packaging... what a nice memory to have! I love the way it says "always keep card handy". Thanks for sharing this!

Clytie said...

I love the idea of detachable buttons! And the happy family depicted on the packaging ... wonderful.

Anonymous said...

Hi, Beth!

I love all the pictures that the old ads had. I love seeing those old cars. Makes me want to go to the drive in movies! ♥

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

These are so interesting, Beth. This reminds me to be on the lookout for interesting little curiousities at garage sales this summer - another excuse to collect!
Evelyn in Montreal

Mark Arend said...

Beth,
I finally looked in my grandmother's foot operated Singer sewing machine drawers. I found a complete card of 10 of the Tip Top Buttons. I would be more than glad to send them to you. Thanks for sharing.