Thursday, May 7, 2009

Rip Van Winkle

I have always loved the story of Rip Van Winkle. About eight years ago I wandered into an antique shop to look around. I found this illustrated copy of Rip Van Winkle. Because it was water damaged I bought it for practically nothing. Last week I was looking through my collection of fairytale books and re-discovered this old treasure. Though the book is water damaged, the pictures were mostly spared and are breathtaking.

N. C. Wyeth, the artist, used rich complimentary colors which just fill my eyes. When I opened the book I could not stop looking at them. The artist's style and use of color is inspiring. I will be sharing more of these drawings in the days ahead.

6 comments:

Clytie said...

You CAN judge a book by the cover -- sometimes! Beautiful illustration!

Lois said...

Beautiful! I'll look forward to more.

Deann said...

Another great story that you hardly hear about anymore. The illustration is superb, beautiful color, thanks for sharing I too look forward to more.

Pearl said...

RVW is a great story... and how fortunate for you to have found a Vintage book filled with beautiful illustrations! I'll be looking forward to seeing some of them... also, have enjoyed the recent Valentine's you've shared... just Darling!
In case I don't make it back in time, I'd like to wish you the most wonderful, and...
HAPPY
MOTHER's
DAY !!!

~blessings~
Pearl

Suzy's Vintage Attic said...

Thank you so much for your kind good wishes for Larry, your thoughtfulness was very much appreciated! I have been behind with blogging and am glad to catch up at last. You have had some gorgeous cards on! the previous one with the little boy is so cute. I have not heard of the story of Rip Van Winkle. I love old books and am curious to find out more about the story. Will see if I can find a copy somewhere, maybe Ebay..
Thanks for being a supportive friend.
Have a great weekend
Best wishes
Isabellle x

Marie Reed said...

This richly illustrated book is one that you can really cuddle up with and fall aslee nbjqk ioyio ....Sorry! I don't know what happened! I caught 50 winks on my keyboard! How many years did Mr. Van Winkle fall asleep? I'm just filled with questions this morning Beth!