Wednesday, November 11, 2009

Honor the Brave

Today is Veteran's Day in America. A day when we honor all those dead and living for their sacrifice. I am moved to tears when I see the legend over the entrance to the Veteran's Hospital. "The Price of Freedom is Seen Here."

The lobby of the hospital is filled with brave men and women of all ages, from all walks of life. Some of these old soldiers had no choice in fighting--they were drafted and had to be brave. Others faced the enemy by choice. All are heros in my eyes.

Thank you Grandpa--you served in WW1. Thank you Daddy--you fought in the Battle of the bulge and were imprisoned in Stalag B and Bad Orb during WW2. Thank you Uncle Kelly--you went to war in Korea. Thank you Uncle Jody--you faced the enemy in Vietnam. Thank you Guy--you were at the frontlines of the first Iraq war. Thank you, young nephew David, you are protecting our country today.

Thank you to all the soldiers who fought and sacrificed their strength and youth and to all of you who continue to serve. YOU are my heros.

4 comments:

Lois said...

Oh Beth, what a beautiful card and your post brought a tear to my eye! I don't have as many veterans in my family as you do, but my own dear Daddy enlisted in the Navy when he was 17 in 1944. He had to get my grandparents' permission and they reluctantly gave it. I have always been so proud of him.

Catherine said...

They have left us an amazing legacy of freedom. We owe them everything...

Clytie said...

I'm so glad we have the chance to say thank you. Wonderfully perfect card, sissie.

Patty said...

Beautiful tribute to your family members and others. Also thanks for your visit to my blog and your comments. I do appreciate it very much.