Friday, November 6, 2009

Kewpie Doll and Friends -Postcard Friendship Friday

I love this postcard! It is a part of my cyber card and postcard collection. I love black cats. This little girl reminds me of the old Kewpie dolls.

When I was young I did a lot of house sitting for old Mrs. Hood. She lived in a wonderful old two story house, and was one of the first women to settle in our area back in the "olden times." Oh, the stories she would tell. She often gave my sister and I trinkets and odds and ends she thought we would like.



This is a Kewpie Doll she gave to me. This little hand painted doll is probably over 100 years old. She is made of a bisque-like material and her arms move. She is so old she has a crack down one side and a hairline fracture along the back of one arm.

The story I heard is the doll was bought from a peddler wagon which used to come through town. It is probably one of the very first Kewpie dolls ever made. I have never seen another like it in my research.

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

17 comments:

AnitaNH said...

Loved reading about Mrs. Hood. So nice that you still have the items that she gave to you. My house was owned by a similar great lady named Mrs. Dean. I never had the pleasure of meeting her but every so often someone will stop by with another story about her. I suppose some day they will be telling stories about me, as well. It's a comforting thought.

LiT Web Studio said...

wonderful card...D Tempest seems to have been very prolific but this is a particularly nice one.

Lois said...

Beautiful card and what a treasure you have in that little doll!

Anonymous said...

I love this post.. I love Kewpie's.. My Mom is 80 yrs. old and every Christmas we put her Kewpie on the tree.. It's just like the one in your picture up there only she has a little dress on and her foot has been chewed on by my Mom's dog from when she was little but our Kewpie is still just precious to us..
Great post.

Unknown said...

The doll is just lovely. You have a fascinating blog.

Sheila said...

I love them both, the card and the kewpie doll. But above all, the stories you can tell of Mrs. Hood - they are the most precious of all.

Mar said...

Love the postcard! and the doll, how cute!!!

Aimee said...

Great doll & story! I had a Kewpie doll when I was little, at least that's what it looked like. They are so cute!

viridian said...

Great doll, so precious. Happy PFF!

Postcardy said...

Those are really cute.

Mary said...

We should all be so lucky to have a neighbor lady. We had one who would give us a tootsie roll pop on Saturday am's. I think it was her way of getting to know the neighborhood kids, and have them in her kitchen, if just for a minute. We so looked forward to Saturdays!

Christine said...

They're both very cute!

Lonely Rivers said...

Just found your yummy blog by way of Cloudhands! "The Best Hearts are Crunchy" is such a sweet sweet idea.

Evelyn Yvonne Theriault said...

I've been planning for a long time to write a post about kewpie dolls but I haven't found the right postcard yet. You're right that this style of kewpie doll is unusual.
My kewpie doll memories come from my childhood visit (1950s) to Montreal's Belmont Park. Each year my parents would buy me one kewpie doll. It was hollow, made out of fragile plastic and attached to a small cane.
Evelyn in Montreal

Catherine said...

What an adorable Kewpie doll! So precious, as is the story behind this cutie. Very sweet postcard, too.

Anonymous said...

I love this way in art and it seems sad, to me, that new ways have taken over.

Anonymous said...

i have a kewpie doll that has the name >yvonne young 6/96 on the bottom of the right foot. how do i find out anything about it?