Friday, June 22, 2012

Here's to the Red, White and Blue - Postcard Friendship Friday #121


Thank you for your patience this morning--I spent all of yesterday helping a friend move and with all the catch-up I had this morning, I'm late!

I am sure, from the style of the clothing these women are wearing, this was right around 1900.  

This postcard is poignant to me.  It comes to mind that at the time this postcard was printed my Grandfather was a young man, who would serve in WW1.  WW2 had not happened.  The Korean War, Vietnam War---all of those had not even happened yet.  It is a tiny bit like going back into the past to a more innocent time.

I had never heard the poem before, or what the colors of the American flag stood for...

Here's to the red, white and blue
the colors our good Flag bears:
Red stands for Love that's true.
White for purity in all our affairs;
And Blue that's true, stands for Fidelity.
While all three stand for Liberty.

Have a lovely day, everyone!

*  DON'T FORGET:  When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you!

*  NOTE: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

*  REMINDER: Comments and links which contain advertising and do not refer to any of the following; Postcard Friendship Friday, mailboxes, the Post office, postcards or the love of postcards, will be deleted.


6 comments:

dakotaboo said...

Great postcard. Love the theme.

Clytie said...

I have heard of the colors behind the US Flag ... I haven't thought about it for years, though.

I love the fashion of the postcard - it's awesome!

Funoldhag said...

That is a very pretty card and such pretty girls! Nice post, Beth.

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

Beautiful card! Mine shows colours of a different sort. :)

Maria said...

Beautiful card, beautiful women, beautiful style of clothing, and beautiful poem!

I love the meaning that they assigned for each color of the flag.

Chris said...

Hi Beth, just stopping by to say how delightful your blog is. Thanks so much for sharing. I have recently found your blog and am now following you, and will visit often. Please stop by my blog and perhaps you would like to follow me also. Have a wonderful day. Hugs, Chris
http://chelencarter-retiredandlovingit.blogspot.ca/