Wednesday, July 7, 2010

American Homestead Summer

There are four of these postcards, one for each season.  I have chosen American Homestead Summer to post today.  It is to be the hottest day of summer so far, here in rainy, cool Oregon.

As I sit in my office, in a room once used as a parlor, I think about the woman who lived here over 100 years ago--she rolled her bread out on the piece of green marble I use for a desk top.  I wonder what she might have thought of my world.

This postcard is from our Grandma Jenny's wonderful collection.

7 comments:

Funoldhag said...

How nice it would be to live in that house - so tranquil. Of course, in weather like this hot, muggy stuff we are having in Michigan, I would have to have air conditioning put in. Will be in Portland in August for my granddaughter's wedding - hope the heat is long gone. ;-) Carol

Lois said...

So lovely! I would enjoy sitting on that porch.

JANN said...

Nice muted colors - I like this image.

Deann said...

It is extraordinary isn't it Sissy to think of the differences in our reality and that of women who lived a little more then a century ago. I have always felt so connected to that time and so aware of just how fortunate I am to live now. Even though that time seems so calm and peacful to me. In reality I don't think my spirit would have been able to fit in then.

I haven't joined Facebook because I just don't have a good feeling about it...weird huh?

Irene said...

Beautiful.

Anonymous said...

It's been very hot here on the other side of the country, Beth, in New York City. Today it got up to 90 degrees. I've posted my PFF postcard on my blog... :)

dakotaboo said...

Another lovely postcard - thanks, as always, for sharing.