Monday, March 22, 2010

Legend of the Violet

The first glad Easter morn
When earth united to rejoice,
The Lord walked into a garden
And each flower raised its voice
*
As they sang their hymns of joy
With happy, sweet accord,
A little violet tried in vain
To see the risen Lord.
*
And as He came, the violet sighed,
"If only I could be
As tall and bright as other flowers,
Then He might notice me."
*
But when He reached the violet,
The Saviour paused awhile,
The violet blushed and bowed its head
Beneath the Master's smile.
*
You see, it really didn't matter,
Not being grand and tall,
For the Lord loves all living things,
However great or small!
*
And to this day, all violets
Bow their faces toward the sod,
Remembering that meeting
With the blessed Son of God!
*
I loved this legend when I read it in this lovely old card from my precious Gramma Gladys. The poem was inside.

7 comments:

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

This really resonates with me. The violets are blooming early now, on the river banks where I live and it always makes me think of my mother. She was born in April and was named (to her later dismay) Violet. She always gave her own mother a little bunch of violets on her birthday. I tried to follow that tradition where I could, until she died a few years ago.

Irene said...

This is just beautiful. My mother has an real love of violets, and it's true, I often think of her when I see them. I had planted a whole strip of violets on the side of my house, but they spread so much my nieghbor had a hissy fit. so they had to move, and they don't like it where they are. Alas your poem is wonderful, is it yours originally.

Clytie said...

I love violets. I love this poem. Simply beautiful.

Stacey said...

What a lovely sentiment. Thanks for sharing!

JANN said...

I love violets too. My Mom use to have a violet plant that was always blooming the lovely purple flowers, she had such a green thumb. I could never get my little violet plant to live always dying. Thank you for leaving me the caring comments. Sure do appreciate your friendship my dear friend. Love this poem and you.

JANN said...

Really like your new banner too !!

Lois said...

How pretty Beth! I love violets, in fact I have some wild ones coming up in my backyard.