Friday, March 26, 2010

Legend of the White Easter Lily - Postcard Friendship Friday #4

It is said in the Garden of Gethsemane, there were many beautiful flowers.  The loveliest of all was the pure white lily.  The fragrant lily knew it was beautiful and proudly lifted its head to show it's magnificent flowering to anyone who happened to pass by the garden.

On the night before He was crucified, Christ came to pray in the quiet heart of the garden. As He prayed and wept, all the flowers of the garden bowed their heads in pity and sorrow. But the proud lily would not bow its lovely white head. The next day, the lily discovered the Lord was going to die. The flower felt so miserable about how it had acted in the garden, it bowed its head in shame.

Since that long ago day, to honor the Lord and to show its sorrow, the lily has grown with a down-turned blossom.

One of our PFF Friends, Postcardy, posted some lovely Easter postcards and poems last year. I borrowed one of those wonderful poems for today's post.

Spring bursts to-day, for Christ is risen
And all the earth's at play.
Flash forth, thou sun, the rain is over and gone,
Its work is done.
Winter is past, sweet Spring is come at last,
Is come at last.
Bud, fig, and vine, bud, olive,
Fat with fruit and oil and wine.
Break forth this morn.
In roses, thou, but yesterday a thorn.
Uplift thy head, o pure white Lily,
Through the Winter dead.
Beside your dams, leap and rejoice,
You merry-making Lambs.
All herds and flocks rejoice,
All beasts of thickets and of rocks.
Sing, creatures, sing, angels and fern
And birds and everything.
All notes of doves, fill all our world:
This is the time of loves.

Happy Postcard Friendship Friday!

LINKING UP:  You can put your link in any time between now and next Thursday.  Postcard Friendship Friday is open for the entire week!     

  * BADGE:  When you submit a postcard, be sure to put a link back to this page.  You can copy and paste the PFF badge, which has the link embedded.  Thank you! 

THEMES: You don't have to stick to the theme I choose each Friday. Just put up the postcards you love and tell us why you like them.

REMINDER:  If you post anything other than a postcard to share, your link will be removed.   Postcard Friendship Friday is specifically dedicated to postcards, both modern and vintage.  






19 comments:

Lyneen said...

Beautiful Lilies... PFF

Lois said...

I have never heard this legend before! Thanks for sharing Beth.

Linda said...

A new story for me, quite moving and beautiful. Thank you, Beth!

maryt/theteach said...

I have an Easter postcard up Beth... I love your Lily postcard! Happy PFF! :)

viridian said...

And I think of this passage;
“So why do you worry about clothing? Consider the lilies of the field, how they grow: they neither toil nor spin; and yet I say to you that even Solomon in all his glory was not arrayed like one of these." Matthew 6:27-29

Sherrie said...

Hi Beth,
Beautiful postcard! Thanks for the info on the lily. I didn't know that. Have a great day!

Sherrie
A View of My Life
http://splummer-aviewofmylife.blogspot.com/2010/03/couple-of-friday-memes.html

LiT Web Studio said...

a beautiful card - just perfect for spring and easter! happy PFF!

MuseSwings said...

Very pretty card! I enjoyed another Easter Legend here that I have not heard before. Happy PFF

Lola said...

I hadn't heard this story before either! Many thanks for sharing it!

Thanks too for stopping by - my vintage Easter card is indeed beautiful!

Wishing you a great weekend!

XOXO LOLA:)

PS Am yr newest follower!

Unknown said...

Lovely! Thank you for such a beautiful and moving postcard. I have not heard of this before--will have to share with my children during the Easter Holidays!

Thank you, Kymberly

Sheila @ A Postcard a Day said...

I love many of Christina Rosetti's poems. One of my favourite is "In the bleak midwinter" but just at the moment I'm glad it's spring.

Sreisaat said...

Thanks for sharing this beautiful story about the lily.

PostcardsCrossing

Anonymous said...

I have some lilies also. Beautiful to look at, but I can't stand the perfume (odor!)

I have restarted my vintage photo/card website that I shut down about a year ago. Please stop by and check it out. My plan is to try and keep it more current, but I don't if I'll be posting every day over there.

Have a great weekend!

Postcardy said...

I had that card and a similar one on my blog last year along with the rest of the words.

http://postcardy.blogspot.com/2009/04/easter-hymn-easter-carol.html

Joy said...

What beautiful card and a legend I, like many of your other readers, had not heard of.

papel1 said...

Your postcard helps remind us why we really celebrate Easter. Love the Lily.
Judy

steviewren said...

I had never heard the legend of the Easter Lily. Thanks for sharing.

Dorincard said...

Beth, your blog is an oasis of nostalgic beauty...a refuge from the daily grind and from all the crapola we have to routinely put up with. :)
I'll tell Marie about a case of healing with stem cell procedure- maybe it can work for her, too.

Patty said...

Lovely little post card. Have never heard the story about the Easter Lily.

Hope those pesky starlings are behaving and not causing you more problems.

Happy week-end.