Monday, May 23, 2011

Apple, or Orange? - Sunday Scans


I own a well-used children's book of poetry from the early 1900's.  This is one of the wonderful pen and ink drawings from that lovely book.  I love the style of this long-ago artist.  My question is--do you think the fruit is an apple?  Or an orange?

Al over at "Al's Photography Blog" is hosting a wonderful meme. It's called "Sunday Scans" and is a place for all things scanned.  So pick up your old photo albums, ephemera, postcards, artwork, ANYTHING which can be scanned and join in the fun!

5 comments:

Terra said...

The sketch is delightful and it could be either an apple or an orange.

Al said...

That's a great sketch. I'd say it's a tangerine - it's too small to be an orange! But given the era, it's probably an apple, since I suspect that oranges weren't as common then as they are now. Even when I was growing up (in Holland) they weren't an everyday thing.

Clytie said...

Hmmmm I think it could go either way, but I'm leaning towards apple. Do you remember when Grampa Lester would peel an apple like that and make the peeling a long, long strip and we used to fight over who got to eat it??? :=}

Irene said...

I suspect it's an apple. Great drawing.

Sara Lucinda Bell said...

Aw I love this!