Tuesday, July 28, 2009

Summer Apples

This is another illustration from my battered and beloved book of Children's poetry. Here the small child is decorously eating a pealed and cut apple from a plate.  No sign of the table knife he'd need to cut it up...  Hmmm.. 

I have wonderful memories of sitting atop the apple tree with a good book and a lapful of crunchy apples pulled from the tree's forgiving branches. What a delight to sit cuddled in the fork of the branch. To read and munch fruit so good and succulent, the juice would run down my chin. Hands sticky? Down the tree to wipe them against the deep grasses of the field. Ah, childhood!


Daddy Update: Dad is getting stronger every day. To offset the effects of the heat wave, we have moved Dad and Mom to our home. We have a small air conditioner in the living room which we are using to keep Dad cool. It is supposed to be 103 today, which is dangerous for a person of Dad's age, especially with his severe injuries. Next week I will be driving dad to an appointment with the plastic surgeon. It looks like he'll need some grafts done to cover part of the open area of the wound.
.Thank you again for all your good thoughts and prayers. THANK YOU!!! Please keep praying for Dad's continued healing.

4 comments:

Lois said...

I love her hairdo! Glad your Dad is getting stronger. Maybe the heat wave will break soon. I know you all are not used to such hot temps, but it is the norm here and I don't know what I would do without my A/C!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful story!

Clytie said...

Love this picture. Remember when Grampa Lester would sit for hours peeling apples with a paring knife? I always thought he was just entertaining the grandkids with how long he could make each peeling (some of them were over 4 feet long!). It wasn't until much later I realized it was really a labor of love for Grammie, who ended up canning scads of applesauce and apple butter for winter.

Beth Niquette said...

I do---I DO remember! I remember sneaking the pealings to eat them behind the tool shed. (grin)